One year ago a national rumor circulated about free “Obama Phones” – subsidized cellphones and service for those on public assistance – being distributed by participating wireless companies such as Safelink Wireless.

In an attempt to dispel all things anti-socialism, Safelink Wireless borrowed a chapter from Snopes.com’s playbook and posted a page on their website stating the ‘Obama Phone‘ claim as, “False”: HERE

Safelink even cited Factcheck.org as “proof” they’re not giving away Obama Phones. Huh?

Upon reading Safelink Wireless propaganda, it becomes obvious the free Obama Phone and no-cost service has been repackaged as the, “Lifeline Program” and “Lifeline Service.”

“The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) recently approved the company to offer Lifeline – a public assistance program that ensures telephone service is available and affordable for low-income subscribers.”

Digging deeper on their website revealed this:

“Only certain Americans are eligible for SafeLink. Eligibility guidelines vary by state but in general individuals qualify if they participate in a public assistance program such as Food Stamps, Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), National Free School Lunch, Federal Housing/Section 8 Assistance, or if they do not receive any of these public assistance programs, they may also qualify based on total household gross monthly income. Customers can learn more or apply by calling 1-800-SAFELINK or visiting www.SafeLink.com.”

And this:

“SafeLink Wireless is a government supported program that provides a free cell phone and airtime each
 month for income-eligible customers.”

And this:

“Lifeline Assistance is part of a program that was created by the government to provide discounted or free telephone service to income-eligible consumers. To help bring you this important benefit, SafeLink Wireless is proud to offer Lifeline Service. Through our Lifeline Service you will receive FREE cellular service, a FREE cell phone, and FREE Minutes every month! SafeLink Wireless Service does not cost anything – there are no contracts, no recurring fees and no monthly charges.”

And this:

“The process to qualify for Lifeline Service depends on the State you live in. In general, you may qualify if…”

1. “You already participate in other State or Federal assistance program such as Federal Public Housing Assistance, Food Stamps and Medicaid. OR”
  2. “Your total household income is at or below 135% of the poverty guidelines set by your State and/or the Federal Government. AND”
  3. “No one in your household currently receives Lifeline Service through another phone carrier.”
  4. “You have a valid United States Postal Address. In order for us to ship you your free phone you must live at a residence that can receive mail from the US Post Office. Sorry, but P.O. Boxes cannot be accepted.”

“In addition to meeting the guidelines above you will also be required to provide proof of your participation in an assistance program, or proof of your income level.”

Safelink Wireless application: HERE

Hat tip: IHTM

Hat tip: Jim

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon

24 Responses to Free ‘Obama Phone’ And Service – Safelink Wireless

1. T.P. Woodfork says:

How did you miss the statement on the website that clearly declares, and I quote: “SafeLink phones are not paid for by taxpayers or the federal government. TracFone Wireless pays for the phones and also the cost of promoting its SafeLink program to make sure that eligible consumers know about the program.”

• Mike says:

Probably because it’s false
      - according to http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/11_04/b4212019667595.htm

“The Universal Service Administrative Co. (USAC)—which manages a federal fund to which U.S. telecom companies are required to contribute fees—pays carriers up to $10 per subscriber per month.” … “But since TracFone started offering totally free service in August 2008, paid directly by the subsidy…”

• Q says:

August 2008?

Who was the president then?

• PoppieG says:

The phone program began under President Clinton and continued under President Bush. Under President Bush’s watch it was expanded to include the less expensive cell phone approach. When was the last time you saw a pay phone? How do you get a job without a phone?

2. Felipa Canerday says:

Cool site!!

3. Alan says:

Double check the requirements. You must not be claimed by someone as a dependent on an income tax return and MUST be a head of the household. So my 80 yr old mother with no income living in our home does not qualify. How do these teenagers qualify?

4. keon says:

I love phones

5. [...] within just 90 minutes of WND’s report on the matter, Snopes swapped the location of the president’s birth from the Queen’s Medical Center to Kapi’olani, with UPI [...]

6. [...] Snopes.com and Factcheck.org lies: HERE Glad you're here! Tagged with: Barack Obama • birth [...]

7. sherry says:

I am confused as to why safelink wireless has been referred to as an “Obama Phone”
    It was not “repackaged” (as it states above) under the name of “Lifeline program”. It has ALWAYS been “Safelink wireless Lifeline Program”.
    This program came into effect during the Busch Administration, NOT Obama. I have had my Safelink phone for 4 years.
    Hence…… My Confusion
    Are people just ignorant or what?

• TIM says:

No not just ignorant, we work for a living and pay taxes so that we can have a cell phone and pay for you to have one too, along with other freebies furnished you by employed taxpayers!

• Mike says:

I’m 48 years old, have worked all of my life since I was 16 years old, even spent 10 years in the military. Right now I’m unemployed, and although looking and trying real hard, I can’t find employment. I’ve paid a ton of taxes in my life. I mean a TON. I’m not ashamed one bit to get a little back for a change. I am receiving food stamps and have a Safelink cellphone. Thank God we don’t live in Somalia or some other God-forsaken place in the world where the hungry poor are almost always pushed aside and under the privileged feet of the rich, and don’t stand a chance of getting a helping hand up and back on their own two feet. Oh, wait a minute, that does sort of sound like our country, or at least the version of our country many would like to see. (Tim included, apparently) My bad.

• Anita says:

Well said Mike! I have worked all my life and paid plenty of taxes as well. Lost my job due to the collapsed economy and budget cuts. I am living on my retirement because I have no other choice. Jobs are hard to come by when you are over 50 and unemployed.

I don’t receive food stamps or the phone, but I won’t qualify until my retirement is gone and I am flat broke. It’s getting old listening to people complain about people who worked all their lives that have fallen on hard times due to the greed of the super wealthy,banks and Wall Street.

I don’t begrudge anyone the assistance they get. The requirements are strict and no one is living a life of luxury on food stamps and a phone with 70 minutes. People that can’t understand that need to be humbled by experiencing it.

• PJSTX says:

Mike and anita:

Maybe if you hadn’t had to pay a ton of your taxes to people who don’t want to work, the National Endowment for the Arts for “piss Christ”, bailouts of Unions’ promises they don’t keep because union dues go to billion-dollar election campaigns, maybe your money would have been paying off our property and in the bank for you to enjoy retirement and handle emergencies without help from people doing without to pay their taxes, businesses closing because they can’t afford taxes and regulations. But you keep on voting for more “free stuff” no matter what, cause the government will never run out of tax payers money. Please tell me you don’t believe that.
          NOBODY begrudges someone a hand up when they need help. It should be you, your family, your church, neighbors, philanthropic organizations doing the helping, not you putting your hand into my pocket via your vote to TAKE whatever YOU think you should have via your congressman. Most folks give with both hands when they see a need. No body wants their pocket picked without their permission. Used to call it stealing.

• PJSTX says:

YOUR property, not OUR property. sorry. need battery in keyboard.

• PJSTX says:

for Mike:

If you really spent ten years in the military, I thank you for your service to this country. Frankly, a warrior with ten years of service should want for absolutely nothing in my opinion. If I had a way to get you a job, I certainly wood do so. I vote that way, and contact my elected representatives about veterans affairs, who as far as I know, are very pro-veteran and do their best. My dad was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. You have my utmost respect. We civillians all need to do better for our veterans. Looks like there are more veterans budgets cuts on the near horizon.

8. [...] the way, shouldn’t ‘free’ Obama Phones be given to those who can’t afford to pay for your ‘safety’ alerts? Oh, [...]

9. National Alert System Set To Hack Mobile Phones says:

[...] the way, shouldn’t ‘free’ Obama Phones be given to those who can’t afford to pay for your ‘safety’ alerts, Mr. [...]

10. dorothy clayton says:

so when there’s no one around can hang it around her neck to insure her she’s being taken care of.

11. amber says:

12. [...] That fact that it took 2 years for Sad Hill to be vindicated after reporting on the ‘Obama Phone‘, even though Safelink (one of the many Obama Phone providers) and some SHN readers [...]

13. Sheila roper says:

Why bother?? The Bush phone will always be referred to as the Obama phone by some people. Proof can be provided that he is an American born citizen everyday for the next 20 years. It still wouldn’t be enough! Why?? Because some people believe if they moan and ring their hands while repeating their slanderous lies and half-bakes truths; someone will believe them. Unfortunately they are right. Propaganda programs disguise themselves as news and scare the hell out of our elderly on an hour by hour basis. Shame on you!!

Go to any hospital and you can find an elderly person who worked a lot longer and harder than their sorry asses has or ever will! Scared because they are no longer able to fend for themselves and they are PAYING for the only insurance they can get (Medicare). Yes.. They pay for it.. It has a deductible.. And they pay a co-pay. Why are they scared? Because everytime they go to the doctor or hospital the lobby tv is on fox and some jerk-off is up there talking about how “Obama Care” is going to cause them to be killed off.

14. […] …and don’t get me started on Snopes.com […]